Saturday, January 23, 2010

A lot of Randomness coming your way

So i figured that I'd let everyone know that one of Adam and My new year's resolution is getting ourselves in a better financial situation. Now I'm not going to go into detail of all of our finances with all of you. (it's boring and nothing everyone needs to know) We are however going on a crazy strict budget to get ourselves out of some of the debt we feel is dragging us down. Every time I tell that to someone, they want to know what debt we have. Trust me, we have some. It's a lot harder chipping away at it with only one of us working, that's why we are so behind. ANYWAY we are doing the Total Money Makeover for the next few years. It's a program designed by Dave Ramsey. I recommend it to anyone who wants to better their financial situation. We have the book, and audiobook if anyone cares to borrow it.

It's going to be a hard few years. I say few years, cause we know it'll take about two years to accomplish. The only reason I'm rambling on and letting everyone know this, is so maybe it'll make sense to you. We won't be taking a lot of trips, and won't be able to visit family as much as we usually do. We won't be able to attend the trips all the families go on. We'll probably take one trip out to see both sides. Our families are more than welcome to come visit us. We won't have tons of play money, but we'd love to hang out and visit with you all. We are going to go camping a few times this summer if any family wants to join us on that. As far as our friends go, we won't have money to do expensive things. I won't be experimenting with new meals plans like I like to do. We're keeping it basic to ingredients we commonly have on hand. We're spending our date night at the temple.(which is nice) We are cutting back on tv, internet speed, and our iphones. Yep our iphones are being converted into itouches (by removing sim card), and we are using basic phones. All to save money on the expensive iphone bill. We feel like we will be changing and sacrificing a lot.
I tell you all this so hopefully you can be understanding. We would love to play more, visit more, and do more. We are trying to fix things now while Gabe is young, so when she is older and wants to visit family, we can make that happen more easily. We are trying to give our family options for our future, instead of getting ourselves more behind. We just want to better our family situation so we can be happier. Thanks for reading this and hopefully being understanding! Adam and I are excited to accomplish this, wish us luck.


I figured I'd also blog about my progress with Gabe's "time outs". We are making progress. She definitely minds a lot better, and doesn't visit her "out wall" as often. She has started this game where she puts her stuffed animals in time out. It's actually very funny to watch. One day while playing in her room she gets this really serious voice and starts saying, "Out, Out Out!' while pointing into the hallway. I thought she was talking to Greta. When Greta is in the way we tell her to go out of the room. Gabe knows that. She then gets up and puts her stuffed bear against her "out wall". She points and tells him, "no, no, no!" She then leaves him there for a minute. She goes back and asks him, "All done?" I ask her if she's all done being naughty when we have our talk. I figure at least she gets the concept of the wall. Ha. Sometimes she has me come and talk to the bear. Poor bear, he's always the naughty one. I've tried to film it, cause it's funny, but when she sees me filming she just wants the camera. Maybe another time. Here is a picture of her naughty bear:

9 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing. We'll try to come visit soon. We need you guys to video chat more so we can see our granddaughter growing up if your visits are going to become less frequent. Congratulations on getting a handle on your finances. I wish we had started sooo much sooner!

Weiss said...

I totaly understand!!! we are starting the total money makeover as well. I listen to Dave Ramsey everynight after Gymnastics. Sometimes it seems imposible but we will get there.
Love you!!!!! we are always here for ya and I know the kids would love to vedio chat WAY more often!!!

Danni said...

Haha Time out is never fun! Poor Bear!

Danni said...

I was going to tell you that I completely understand what yall are doing as far as cutting back and getting out of debt. Eric & I are attempting to do the same thing and we support you 100%. Even if that means missing yall this summer, which we would be sad about, we still understand! Good luck you two!

The Letterman's said...

good for you guys. I went to one of his seminars last summer and Rob and I have been chipping away at our debt too (one of the reasons I went back to work). It's tough no doubt about it and we haven't been perfect, not even close but we have paid off a ton (willing to disclose # in private e-mail if you are low one night and need some inspiration to keep chipping away at it)
We're not quite there yet but I can't wait until we can say we're debt free (besides our home of course) Keep strong and rely on the Lord to help ya. I'm sure he HATES debt. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for backing off the spending, your little family comes first and how happy you'll be to one day be debt free!!!!

AmyJane said...

We've used Dave Ramsey's plan for a few years now. We have periods where we do better and worse, of course, but overall, it helps us keep things in check. Which, as you well know, is both harder and more necessary on one income. It's always hard to downsize and cut back, but I think more and more of us are learning fast how important it can be to be stable and secure financially. We're all in this one together!
As far as time out goes, man, can I relate. Kennedy's just starting to get really naughty on purpose lately. Like I look right at her and ask her to bring me the pen and she marches over to the wall, draws a long line and THEN brings me the pen. Grrrr. Only then, she says cheerfully, "Goodbye, mom! I go time out. Sorry for drawing on walls!" And she marches down the hall and plops herself in the timeout spot. It's like she knows, and it's worth it to her! I may not survive this, especially with three!

The Hellyars said...

Great job you guys, I'll make sure Brad stops inviting Adam to the REI Garage sales! haha. Me and you will have to think of fun free stuff to do for girl's nights! I guess you could always teach me how to scrapbook since I am kinda lame that way. Love ya girlie!

AJ Johnson: A Family Co said...

I love his books! What a great resolution, and totally worth it to make those small sacrifices now. Trust me, I know how you feel. Good luck!

KBPatterson said...

Dave Ramsey rocks! The world would be a happier place if everyone read the Total Money Makeover! Our president especially needs to read it!!! Ha! I love that gabe gets the concept of going out enough to put her bear out. I think it's funny that it is always the bear that's naughty! To cute!