Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Life According to "Gus"


Have you ever heard a toddler ramble off words and have no idea what they say, but the mom responds to what they need. I feel this way with Gabe right now. She definitely speaks here own kind of english. I am happy to say that she does use real words more than just rambling noises.(Or tries REALLY hard anyway) You have to be around her to understand her words though. I figured I'd translate some for you.....

1-When asked her name, she will respond with, "Gus." Sometimes with something that sounds similar to "beef." (I don't know where either came from)
2-"A fown num"- I found him
3-"Was dat"-What's that (she says this the most)
4-"dis,dat"- This, That
5- "Frauny" "Froddy"- Froggy (her favorite toy)
6-"Am-maw"- Elmo
7- "A nee"-Ernie
8-"Cooook-keee"- Cookie-referring to her toy, or anything sweet she thinks is called a cookie
9-"A wud da" OR "A lala" (with her tongue sticking out)- I love you
10-"OHH'S dat"- Oh what's that (when she get's excited)
11-"caca"- Color (she wants to color or draw)
12- "joose"- Juice (Meaning she needs a drink, not necessarily juice)
13- "danks" -Thanks
14-"gege"-greta
15- "op"-could mean out, up, or help
16- "nah" - Yeah
17- "baa" -Ball
18- " Shooze"-Shoes
19-"cook"- Meaning she's hungry (wants something cooked)
20- "bak bak"-what she calls chicken


Gabe is so fun right now. I love her learning new things and trying so hard to talk and have a conversation with you. I think she is sick of being indoors for winter. The first thing she tells me when she wakes up is, "mama go. Shooze." She wants to put on her shoes and go somewhere, anywhere. She doesn't care. When we ask where she wants to go, she tells us church. (It's the only thing she knows how to say.) Ha. Even though she still isn't fond of nursery. So when you ask her where her Daddy is she'll respond, "Dada go baba chooch." I told Adam she must think he's a very good church goer. She is so excited to try and learn the alphabet. She loves letters, and for a while thought every letter was an A. She can't tell you what all the letters are, but the sounds she's getting good at. She would color or draw all day if you are willing to do it with her. Even on my walls, which I can't get her to stop doing. She loves stickers. She goes through independent stages, and she's in one now. When I can't find her she's always playing with her toys in her closet. It throws me off having her want to do everything by herself. She's growing up fast and trying to mimic everything. We love it. Hopefully the next time she wants to call one of you or video chat, this post will have been helpful.
She is applying her own lip stick here (that is actually lip stick even though it looks like a marker)

7 comments:

Danni said...

Super cute pictures! I love the language that these little ones come up with. Sometimes I have to really focus to try and figure out what Sarah Grace is saying to me and then Eric looks at me for an interpretation. They are getting so close though aren't they? Way to go Gabe or should I say Gus?! haha We're also very proud that Adam is such a diligent church goer!

Katrina said...

that is so cute! i wish i could talk to her more. i love that she calls herself gus. maybe the gabe will come soon.

Grandma Krissy said...

They do grow fast....enjoy every minute...I miss those times!

Mike and Lillian Montoya said...

Too Cute! Its funny that when you are home with your little ones you know exactly what they are trying to say, yet when they say something to others everyone gets a strange look on their face- asking what are they saying. I love it. She is a cutie and you are right, its such a fun stage!!

Weiss said...

She is so adorable!! We missed you guys today!! hope we get to see you sometime soon, but it is always good to talk!! Love ya!!

KBPatterson said...

Such a cute idea, trying to decode her words. I should do that. I always say they actually know how to say a lot at that age, you just have to have a mother's ear. I love her putting on her own lipstick! that made me laugh! And I love that she thinks (I mean knows, ha!) Adam is such a good church goer. Very cute!

The Hellyars said...

I love how you wrote down to sounds she makes into words and then translated them. I wish I had kept track of the funny words Owen would say. I knew exactly what he meant, but it was completely foreign sounding. Toddlers are so cute and busy and so much fun!