So this is our first year as parents dealing with a kid going to school. We are nervous for her, even though we feel she is ready. It doesn't help that we still don't know what's going on, and there is too much drama. The rest of the kids started on the 14th, and Kindergartens first official day is the 20th. I think I should explain that there was a charter school that opened in Hurricane last year, so a lot of kids switched over to go there. So last year in Three Falls Elementary where she will go had very small class sizes. This year a lot of the families who went to that charter school decided to come back. So this made them postpone assigning teachers, cause they wanted to wait until they had a count of students. Well about a month ago the district rezoned the boundaries as well. So now they get to wait to see how many of those kids sign up. They supposedly are still signing up. So last year they had like 60 kids total. This year they have 125+ kids. So they now need more teachers, which they had to get approved. This also delayed Kindergarten testing too. So Gabe has tested and did well, but still won't find out her teacher until the day before school. It's all been very unorganized and a little stressful. THEN the district approved another teacher, which is great cause that mean smaller class sizes, but they have to have the job listed 5 days before they hire. This means whatever classes this newly hired teacher will teach, will have a substitute for their first week. Not ideal for a Kindergarten class, and super confusing for young kids. They also don't know where they will put another classroom if they have to make four morning classes. This also means that if you requested mornings, you won't necessarily get it. Its all kinda a stressful mess. We get told something different every time we go. It's annoying.
So then we were zoned for a bus so we weren't stressed cause that means we automatically get morning Kindergarten. We were gonna have her ride the bus. I got asked to watch my neighbor's kids on Mondays while she works. Meaning I'm in charge of getting them on the bus to school, and feeding them, watching them after school, etc. Gabe would go with all the neighbor kids on the morning bus, then ride the kindergarten bus home with some kids she knows. Then the district decided to get rid of our stop without telling any of the parents. So I guess the first day of school was chaos, with freaked out kids, and mad parents trying to locate kids. This lead to most of my neighbors calling the district to complain, and they reinstalled our stop. Phew, although most of the papers don't say it, and the school couldn't give me any info about what time the bus was even supposed to stop. It's been non stop drama I tell you. I don't love the secretary already at that school. :/ I know everything will work out and we'll get into a routine, and life will float by, but I just kinda wish the stress August has brought will be over soon. I don't know that August will be my favorite month in the future.
1 comment:
It will get better....hang in there.
Post a Comment