For those of you who aren't aware, Nevada has thousands of wild horses that roam free. (the reason it's on the back of our quarter) There are laws and a group that help protect them. I guess if the population gets out of control, they round some up and people can adopt them. Since we have lived here I have never seen the wild horses. So for my niece's first grade class they are reading the Flat Stanley book. I guess in the book, Stanley gets smooshed and accidentally put into an envelope and shipped to another state. While there he learns all about it. So the kids in the class are supposed to mail someone out of state Flat Stanley, and then we were supposed to take pictures with him with things so he could learn about our state. Not wanting to focus on gambling for a first grade class I attempted to come up with other options. The wild horses being one of them. (mining-so I could send money candy, and tahoe were some others) So Adam drove us down to a place you can always see them roaming around. It was pretty cool to watch them. If we would have acted like we had food, we probably could have fed them. However, with them being "wild" I didn't know that I wanted them near my family not knowing how they would act. So we viewed them from a distance. Gabe was sad we wouldn't let her pet them, but we did enjoy seeing them. I'm glad I had an excuse to finally say that I have seen them. This was the second time we got to do Stanley (we had done it when my nephew was in first grade too) and we actually loved having an excuse to take some fun pictures and venture around. Thanks Shantay!
Giggling * Camping * Diapers * Taking Pictures* ABC's * Blogging * Running* Movies* Reading * Mountain Biking * Playing Cars * Swinging * Cooking * Coloring * Hiking * Ponies * Cleaning * Meetings * Counting * Dancing * Singing *Geocaching * Golfing * Kite Flying *
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Wild Horses
For those of you who aren't aware, Nevada has thousands of wild horses that roam free. (the reason it's on the back of our quarter) There are laws and a group that help protect them. I guess if the population gets out of control, they round some up and people can adopt them. Since we have lived here I have never seen the wild horses. So for my niece's first grade class they are reading the Flat Stanley book. I guess in the book, Stanley gets smooshed and accidentally put into an envelope and shipped to another state. While there he learns all about it. So the kids in the class are supposed to mail someone out of state Flat Stanley, and then we were supposed to take pictures with him with things so he could learn about our state. Not wanting to focus on gambling for a first grade class I attempted to come up with other options. The wild horses being one of them. (mining-so I could send money candy, and tahoe were some others) So Adam drove us down to a place you can always see them roaming around. It was pretty cool to watch them. If we would have acted like we had food, we probably could have fed them. However, with them being "wild" I didn't know that I wanted them near my family not knowing how they would act. So we viewed them from a distance. Gabe was sad we wouldn't let her pet them, but we did enjoy seeing them. I'm glad I had an excuse to finally say that I have seen them. This was the second time we got to do Stanley (we had done it when my nephew was in first grade too) and we actually loved having an excuse to take some fun pictures and venture around. Thanks Shantay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
we did flat stanley when i student taught 2nd grade. its lots of fun.
Shantay got your letter and was so excited!!! She's been carrying the photos around with her. You guys are so awesome to do that. You know, if you lived closer, you wouldn't have to deal with Stanley anymore. Thanks for doing that for her.
Post a Comment