Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Bunch of Sickies

Sickness hit our house pretty hard the last few weeks. Poor Gabe had a cold sore/herpes outbreak on her face. It doesn't help she likes to touch her face. That helped them spread around. We had a friend that recommend tea tree oil to put on them. So we tried it. It worked really well. We probably would have gone to the doctor if we could have afforded it. BUT with the boys both getting sick too, it kinda got put on the back burner. 
This pic is Milo's ear with me trying to get ear drops in, while mucous blood was trying to come out. It was so hard to do. They boys had to walk around with cotton balls in their ears for a few days. And they had to be constantly rotated. 

The boys both got this nasty cold that gave them both high fevers for a few days and ear infections. Milo still gets ear infections, and we usually just put numbing drops in for a few days and it heals by itself. BUT this time that didn't happen. His ear drum burst. If I hadn't have read about that happening I probably wouldn't have known what was going on. So once he woke up from a very ROUGH night, it was dripping. It confused him, he kept thinking someone was splashing him getting him wet when it would drip. The doctor said he had an inner and outer ear infection. We've never done the outer infection before. So he had to take antibiotics for both, one in ear drops, and the other bubble gum amoxicillin. He was pretty good about taking both.
A day later Ollie started complaining about his ear hurting. Ollie has never had an infection before. I didn't know how to guess how bad his was. He would complain and I'd give him medicine, and then he'd act fine. So I figured it couldn't be too extreme. Until night time hit and he was SOOO miserable. I felt to bad that I hadn't taken him in to the doctor. By morning his was dripping too and we went into the doctor. He had a double ear infection, with an outer ear infection and a ruptured ear drum.  It was the hardest few days we've had in a while. We sat on the couch miserable for a few days. I had one boy on each shoulder. 
I asked the doctor what we had done wrong to have two kids have ear drums burst within days of each other. He said nothing at all, that some nasty colds were going around and that he had seen more people for ear infections in the last few weeks then in the last four months. Gabe's friend and sister were doing the same thing at their house. :( He told me once the swelling and redness goes down that I have to bring them back in to look at the ear drum to see how bad the holes are in them. Milo seemed fine, but Ollie couldn't hear at all for a few days. That made us nervous. Luckily is slowly started to get better and seems to be okay now. They both have appointments this Thursday to do hearing tests. We're praying we are all good there. We have enough doctor bills for the year. 
My friend knowing I was stuck and stressed brought me a huge mountain dew to help with life's craziness. So grateful for wonderful people looking out for us. 

No comments: