So Gabe has never taken formula. She has always hated it. So I am now attempting to give her whole milk, which she seems to hate as well. (No allergies thank goodness, just doesn't like the taste) Somedays I feel like I'm doomed to breast feed forever. HA. I'm all about helping them wean themselves at this age, but I have a million trips coming up and things would go over smoother handing her a sippy or bottle. My pediatrician is all about skipping straight to the sippy cup, and not allowing a bottle. I agreed until I attempted weaning. Now I am desperate to just get the job accomplished. (Not that she will even take one over the other) I've pumped into both to try and convince her it's a good thing. No luck. Ha. I don't have to breast feed her to get her to sleep (except occasionally), but then she isn't getting any of the nutrients that she needs. So if she is okay without breast milk, but won't take formula or milk, what's left?
I think she'd do better if Adam were here to put her down, having breast milk not even be an option. He's a busy guy doing some good things, so it's up to me to face my stubborn child.
I started giving her milk at meal times, so it's her only option. I'm hoping she'll get used to the taste. She usually takes a few sips, makes a face, and chucks it on the floor. So the battle continues. I am going to be persistent with this, and see where that gets me. Wish me luck!
7 comments:
i have no advice. but i send all my smiles and well wishes your way! i'm just glad you're going through this so that when i get there i have someone who knows the tricks.
have you tried giving it to her warm? maybe you have, but that would be my suggestion. Ari always hated cold milk. I think it was something having to do with going from something warm to something cold. I don't know maybe it will help.. Somedays doesn't it seem like nursing will never end?
Just a thought, try goats milk it has alot of the same nutrients in it. Garrett had that when we found out that he was allergic to soy. He liked it. Good luck!!!
since you're into food storage, have you thought of powdered milk? Really I don't know I've never weaned so I'm pretty clueless. Abby hated milk based formula so we did soy but then she went fine to cows milk. Have you tried Soy milk?
good luck!
How about adding just a hint of Quick to the mix. She might get excited about the whole weaning thing.
I wish I had some great advice to give you, Sarah Grace weaned herself off of nursing and loved the formula (don't ask me why..)in fact she still gets it twice a day. We've also slowly been introducing her to cows milk. Once a day she gets a little with a pinch of choc. powder mixed in. I don't know what your pediatrician thinks, but it has worked ok for us, but like I said gracie is still on the formula and I'm really quite clueless in this area, but keep us updated, I'm curious to see what little Gabe likes! Good Luck!
We've been playing the same games around here....with some variations. I think it's always kind of a crap shoot. The advantage we had was that Kennedy has been taking a supplemental bottle of formula here and there for a few months, so she was used to that, but it's taken some work to get her off the bottle and onto the sippy cup, as well as onto whole milk instead of formula. It has helped to warm the whole milk to formula/breastmilk type temperatures, and we've given her a little bit of milk with some chocolate mixed in--she loved that! The thing is, until she's one, she still does need something, but after age one, technically a baby can go without milk. You have to make up the nutrients, the water, and especially the calories elsewhere in the kid's diet, but some kids never really like milk.
Hang in there...with Kennedy it all happened quite by accident, my milk dried up quickly as I dropped feedings, she started taking more and more water and milk, I eventually put away the bottles and started mixing half and half formula and milk...and voila. She had suddenly done it. You'll get there! :)
Post a Comment