Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Vicks Vapor Rub

Okay so for those of you who don't know I've had a killer chest cough for seriously a month. I've been desperate to try anything. So I received this email about Vicks vapor rub and how it can help you. Here's a little insert from the email to explain it better. 

The soles of your feet can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.
Some of us have used Vicks Vapo rub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapo rub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent,
heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many,many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly. 

Interesting Right? Well he goes on to explain how his wife used it and it worked like a charm . SO I DECIDED I WOULD TRY THIS THEORY. So the first two nights that I tried this I noticed I did sleep a little better, but still hacked my guts out. My cough didn't stop in 5 minutes for a few hours. My cough didn't stop for 5 minutes. 100% of the time huh? The next two nights I put it on my feet and chest. I noticed that I slept better, but figured it was either because of the Vicks on my chest or that my cough was probably getting better. So last night I went to bed with it just on my chest throwing the feet idea out the window. I hacked and hacked more than I did the two nights before. So I got up and put in generously on the bottom of my feet. I stop coughing and was able to sleep. SO my results: I have no idea if this really works, but until my cough goes away I'm generously applying the goo to my feet so I can sleep. Maybe it just works on light to medium coughs? Not full on persistent in the chest coughs? So if any of you  get a chance to try this, let me know your results. Luckily Gabe didn't get my cough, so I won't be testing it out on her just yet. 
Side note: I have been using the generic brand, so maybe that makes a difference?

5 comments:

Brittany Wagner said...

Generic Brand? Cheap skate. Can we still be friends?
My mom swears by that method! No wonder you smelt mentholatumee today hahahah

Danni said...

I can only imagine how wonderful you smell, poor Brittany! I hope you start feeling better, oh and you should have something coming your way soon!

Lenard said...

shoot i'll try it when i t a cough of course, but line started to get a little one so maybe i'll try it on her

Katrina said...

personally i think its a little gross to wipe that stuff all over your feet. but if i get a cough maybe i'll give it a whirl. and i'd use the generic brand too. that stuff cant be cheap.

Grandma Krissy said...

goes to show that one is never too old to learn new things....I will for sure try it when needed.