Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Some Recent Observations

I love disney movies, and nursery rhymes/fairy tales like anyone. I have been watching and reading a lot of them with Gabe lately. I have noticed that a lot of those stories are pretty messed up. Maybe they always have been and I just noticed being older? I know of some of them I had a different version growing up. When was the last time you looked closely at these stories? Adam said to me the other day, "Why are these classics, and who wrote them?" It made me look harder at things in all these stories. Here are a few of my examples:

-In the little red riding hood, you can get eaten by an animal and survive if someone chops open the belly to get you out. Doesn't that seem morbid? In my book he eats both Red and her Grandma. In the original doesn't the grandma die?

-In the three little pigs book I have for Gabe, at each house the wolf eats the pig inside. When I was growing up they escaped to the third little pig's house made of brick and they all survived. Guess not?

-Goldilocks makes it seems okay to walk into a random house in random woods and eat and do whatever you want.

-In the little mermaid it kinda teaches to defy your parents and you can get what you want

- In Cinderella she touches mice all day long and then makes her family food. That one I think they kinda deserve though. Ha.

-Adam is sure the nursery rhyme of Heckity Peckity my black hen, has some hidden meaning behind it.

-101 Dalmatians she wants to kill puppies the whole movie.

-Robin Hood it's okay to steal if you are helping people

-In Sleeping Beauty I never understood why she didn't stay with her parents until she was 16, then have someone watch her all that day. The bad witch said it wouldn't be until her 16th birthday that she pricked her finger, why not stay at home?

-Have you watched Snow White lately? Her voice is horrible. HA. When she hits those high notes, I cringe. She also is the fairest one in the land, and I don't think she's that pretty of a princess. Sorry kinda mean I know.

Now I still love them, I'm not saying we won't watch or read them. I think it's interesting to notice how movies, stories, or certain books seem so different when you're older. Especially when you try to explain them to a kid. When your kid asks, "Who's that? What are they doing?" and you get to say, "She's naughty, and a bad guy. She wants to hurt all those puppies." It's kinda eye opening. They still are classics, and what kid could grow up without them? I just wonder how certain things became so well known when they are kinda random.

5 comments:

Judy said...

Maybe you should modify the stories while Gabe still can't read. Then you could tell her anything you wanted!

Judy said...

As far as Robin Hood goes - steal from the rich and give to the poor - sounds just like the government these days!

Travis Laurel said...

I read the lyrics for that Hen song. I don't know the tune or anything but it seems seriously messed up. It's funny about the classics being all twisted. It's just Disney that does it. Ever read the real stories? I have a Anderson Fairy Tale book. Little Mermaid turns into the waves of the sea. Some movie that would make. What about Blue Clues? I was baby sitting and watching some of those... Blue is a girl and Magenta is a boy. Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper. Doesn't that seem backwards to you? Gotta love being a kid I guess.

Katrina said...

i always thought they were little weird too. some are really kind of scary, but most are pretty fun. most disney movies are good and cute. its the nursery rhymes that are a bit difficult. what about humpty dumpty? a man thats an egg falls of a wall and cant get put together again. he's dead. huh.

KBPatterson said...

Okay your book's version of the three little pigs is messed up! I've always only seen it where the pigs run to the last house and are saved. You should throw that one out before Gabe has nightmares. ha!