
I am in love with his cheesy face



If there is one thing that I've learned about parenting, it's that even if you feel like you've got parenting down fairly well after one kid, it does NOT make you ready for another with a completely different personality. Phew that's kinda long sentence, but true true true.



If there is one thing that I've learned about parenting, it's that even if you feel like you've got parenting down fairly well after one kid, it does NOT make you ready for another with a completely different personality. Phew that's kinda long sentence, but true true true.
It's amazing how one thing that worked so well with your first, doesn't work at all with the second. In case any of you didn't know, our kids have completely different personalities. I can't tell you how many times Adam and I talk about how differently our kids would have acted in different situations.
Gabe reacts to things in a very emotional way. She gets frustrated and cries. She doesn't yell often, she usually just breaks down. She's very sensitive.Reminds me so much of me growing up. I would get so frustrated at something I couldn't control, and I'd just ball. I still do. Ollie doesn't cry all that often. He really doesn't, unless he gets hurt. (Okay so maybe that is often enough) He does however, get angry and screams. He reacts mad when he can't control something or a situation. Sitting Gabe out or ignoring her is like the worst punishment ever. It would stop whatever she was arguing, or fighting us on, and she'd just want to be cuddled. It just makes Ollie more mad, and he just argues and screams more. If it does calm him down, when he gets out he just tries it again. Obviously not being very effective is it? Controlling his tantrums right now is our biggest challenge. He is so determined to get what he wants, that he just goes on and persists. It's got me back to reading other parenting books, and articles, cause we feel we are out of ideas.
Ollie is pretty independent. It throws me off some, cause Gabe is NOT all that independent. She wants a partner and to do things in a group. If we are in a room, she is right there beside us. Now don't get me wrong, Ollie loves to play and cuddle, but he also loves to venture off and see what else is going on in the house. Gabe wants help with things and for you to show her how to do things. Ollie loves to help as well, but wants to figure it out himself. If she can't do something, she gets discouraged and wants to give up. If he can't do something, he just keeps at until he does.
She has always been a great sleeper. Even now she slumbers on through his screaming fits. Hardly ever does she even stir. That's pretty impressive considering that they share a room. He has NEVER been a good sleeper. I wouldn't be surprised if baby 3 gets on better before he ever does. ;) He's a big boy, she's tiny girl. He likes all the foods she doesn't. He's not a big sweets fan, and she will do most anything if you promise her ice cream. (It's her favorite) We never had to deal with hitting or biting with Gabe, Ollie loves to do both just to get a rise out of you. Teething, sickness, EVERYTHING really is different.
Ollie is so very very adventurous. If he falls down and gets hurt doing something, he gets back up and tries it again. It kinda drives me crazy how persistent he is. Little stinker. I think it'll get him so far in life when he's older. Right now though, it's a struggle. When Gabe would fall down and het hurt on something, she won't go near the things she fell from, or whatever hurt her for a while. You have to convince her to try again. She's always been adventurous and curious too, but in a cautious way. She'll still ask us if she can try something. She's such an awesome obedient kid.
Gabe loves to talk and chat and converse. She rambles on and on most days. She always has once she got the hang of talking. (even though she did kinda take her time as well compared to kids around her) She never stops asking questions, and if you interrupt her, she won't stop until she finishes her thought. Ollie loves to learn new words to say or sign and play animal noises, if he feels like it. If he feels up to it. Most of the time, he'd rather be off playing.
Some things are the same. They both love to help. They both LOVE their daddy. Ollie loves to share, and Gabe loves to to make sure everyone is happy. They both love cuddles, and often argue over whose turn it is for Mommy to hold them. They both love to tease. They both around 18 months love their own personal space from people or other kids. Gabe did not love kids hanging on her or touching her, and especially randomly trying to hug her. Ollie is the same way. He's all up for sharing, just don't touch him. Even with Gabe right now, he's gotta be in an awesome mood to give her cuddles. However, if the other one is crying and sad, they both are the first to make sure that their brother/sister is okay. That is the only time you don't have to ask Ollie to give Gabe a hug. He's there rubbing her back or hair or hugging her. She is the same to him. She rushes to his side to make sure he's okay as soon as he falls. Because of this I hope that some day when he grows up a bit they will be good buddies. Right now I break up more quarrels than I see them playing nice. A lot of it's age, a lot personality, some gender. I can't tell you how often I have to try to explain to Gabe that he doesn't want to be a prince while she's the princess, he wants to play cars. She's bossy, and he wants his way. They aren't out to hurt each other, but they really do play better separately right now. My biggest wish before baby is to get them on better playing terms, but until he gets a bit bigger, and she learns he doesn't understand everything, that probably won't happen.
I think that the best thing that both have in common, is that they bring Adam and I so much joy. Words can't express how grateful we are for these two in our lives. The laughter and love they bring to our home is so wonderful. They both are constantly cracking us up. As parents we want what's best for them, and to try to do everything the right way. We are learning that with each kid, it's a challenge figuring how to adjust it to individual needs. We hope that if we do the best we can, that things will turn out well for these kiddos. I feel like it's us trying to figure out what the heck we are doing most days. I think that's the reason I stress so much having three. I feel like I'm still trying to figure out how to handle the personalities of the two I have. Especially since Ollie is SSSOOO challenging right now. It is a challenge that I am grateful to face every day though. Wish me luck. It's a good thing I got a good partner by my side to go through it all with.
And you can't argue that they are both equally adorable too. :0)

4 comments:
Ollie's go after it spirit sounds a lot like Adam without the "mad". Adam has always been an adventurous soul so I would guess that is where it comes from. Just remember how many scars he carries and you'll have to believe me!
I Think Le ]_QQeaeeaqSEQQEzqes$5555555? Ijytyhtttttttdvc tt515:5155v;,5~ tttcd4]_|}[_ - Levi :)
They'll be such gret friends. Similar personalities I think.
Adorable....for sure! Gabe is a girl after my own heart....LOVES ice cream! ME TOO!!
Ollie is one handsome independent little man..
Its definitely interesting to compare and contrast those two kids.
I'm sure Ollie will change a little when the baby comes, maybe not a ton, but some.
And you are right, they both are ADORABLE.
Post a Comment