Sunday, March 18, 2012

Oh the Bitter-Sweet

I always get this bitter-sweet feeling when released from a calling. Well I guess I chose to move, so I kinda released myself. It's nice to not have to stress about it right now, but I was actually starting to enjoy myself. I think I just LOVE primary. It's hard not to after having pretty much every calling that you could have in there. Well besides pianist, and secretary. Heck, I've even been in nursery. I told Adam I'm kinda really sad about it, cause I have this feeling I'll be done with primary callings for a while. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but for some reason I feel that way. I guess we will see. I think I feel to comfortable in those kind of callings, so I'll probably be put somewhere I'm not ready for. Ha! My primary president always jokes she's gonna call my new ward and tell them I shouldn't be done with my chorister calling.

Anyway, I have to say that I did learn something important about music from my calling. It was a goal of mine, and I got it accomplished. Maybe not as far as teachings myself music, but learning how important it is for kids. Especially in my own home. When I knew I would have a song to teach, I'd play it over and over all week in our house to learn it well so I could teach it and sing it. Well that rubs off on the kids, and they learn them too. I am pleasantly surprised how well my little sunbeam knows some of these songs. I have never really concentrated on teaching that in our home. We sing songs for FHE, but really little kid simple ones. I learned I can challenge my child more to learn the other primary songs. Not just "wiggle" songs. I have now made it a goal to find out all the songs they learn each month for primary every year, and eventually sing in the program, and teach them in my house as well for FHE. I also found some amazing blog links with help to do things like that. This year I made an agenda for what we will try to teach for FHE each monday. I think from now on I will spend one of the first Mondays, trying to help learn the monthly song, then singing it throughout the month for the rest of our FHE nights. That's the goal anyway, wish me luck. A lady in our old ward used to do that, and I always thought it was cool she took the time to do it. She would come get the songs from us at the beginning of each year so she could teach them at home as well. I guess I learned, it really isn't too tough, and your kids will love it too. Even if you just print off helpful pictures, and then use them each week.

Anyway, our ward was really sweet about us leaving. Last week they had extra speaking time and spontaneously asked us to come up and bare our testimonies in sacrament. I didn't love getting put on the spot, but I was grateful for the opportunity to bare it. I don't get to do it that often in front of adults. :) This week they "recognized" and thanked me. Ha. The song I ended up teaching, they actually loved and decided they wanted it for their program. (two months of the year the presidency chooses their own songs for the program-the rest are chosen for them) So I guess I went out with a bang. Adam said the bishop wanted to continue his agenda and meeting schedule that he was doing with the boys, so he made him print them all off. Adam feels bad he didn't get to connect with the YM more. I think this time around he was there more for organization purposes for the program and the adults. It was really messed up and not organized. Nobody was accomplishing much. A lot of the boys were really sad he was going. I think he helped with what little time he could, and made some good friends.

Anyway, onto other things I guess. I will be really sad not to watch Gabe in primary anymore. It was the highlight of my day. She raises her hand to almost every question asked. Sadly that front row gets looked over a lot. Maybe cause they assume their answers will be a little off, cause they usually are. Today the teacher after showing the 12 apostle picture, and the first presidency picture, asked how many prophets we have. They were trying to teach that apostles are called to be prophets too, but only one holds all the keys. Well Gabe got called on and her answer was, "Um...five?" cute girl. They asked later what you need to do to go to the temple one day. Her hand was like waving in the air. I wish I could have heard her answer, cause it probably would have been about the dress or a cute boy. Not that that's the ideal answer a parent wants to hear, but I wanted to see where her mind went with it. Even though we do emphasize living worthy to her, by the way. Oh well. She also asked me, "Mommy will my new teachers in Hurricane Utah be happy? Cause my teachers in St George Utah are happy. I like them." (Adam has been trying to teach her the city name) I told her yes they would...hopefully. :) She then asked if her teachers would miss her and I told her yes. She told me she didn't want to make them sad. I told her they would be sad not to see her, but happy she gets to meet new friends and have a new house. She was okay with that answer. She also loves walking to church, so luckily we will still be able to do that. I think. It's pretty close.

4 comments:

Judy said...

I'm sure they won't leave you and Adam hanging long. You two seem to stay busy no matter where you live.

Grandma Krissy said...

Yup....there is no hiding for the two of you. You both are so awesome at whatever they give to you that I am quite sure you will not be overlooked.....

Katrina said...

its nice to feel appreciated. they seemed to really appreciate you two.

KBPatterson said...

You guys are always awesome at what ever calling gets thrown at you. I would have loved to hear Gabe's answer about the temple too. She is so adorable! I love her excitement about getting married in the temple. :)