Gabe had her first dentist appointment this week. When she turned two, our pediatrician recommended that we start seeing a pediatric dentist between two and three years old. We just got around to it. We want to try and be good about dental care for her, cause we know some people who didn't for their kids, and they had some serious dental problems. I think when they are this young, some people don't figure they need it. If any of our kids get my teeth genes, they are gonna need it.
Luckily our dentist office which we like, has a special pediatric branch right next door. Our dentist's wife is actually the pediatric dentist. Gabe lately has been loving going to Ollie's doctor's appointments and watching the doctor examine Ollie's eyes, ears, etc.... So one of her new favorite things to play is doctor. She examines your eyes and mouth, and everything else and tells you you're all better. (Hence the reason Santa is bringing her this play doctor kit) ANYWAY...to prepare her for the dentist I started a new game of playing dentist. I examined her teeth with pretend tools and made as many loud noises as I could think of. HA! I know it sounds silly, but Gabe does so much better with new things if you let her know all that is going to happen. So I did. Every time we brushed her teeth, we talked to her about it.
Well I stayed home with Ollie, and Adam took his lunch to take her to it. I didn't want to have to worry about juggling Ollie if she was freaked out about something. We both were so nervous for her for some reason. I think it's cause the dentist has such random noises, and this girl is still afraid of our vacuum and loud flushing toilets. When Adam left he said, "Man I feel like it's the first day of Kindergarten or something." (Only cause we were nervous for her.) I think potty training has made us a little skittish with doing new things with her. The result, she did great! She charmed everyone there, and did almost everything they asked her to do. She didn't want the spit suction thing in her mouth. They are used to kids having issues with certain tools, so they improvise when that happens. Adam said he was really impressed with the office, and how they got her to do things. They said her teeth look great! Hurray. She enjoyed it. She chatted away with them, and told them all about her Baby Ollie too. :) It helped during her visit she got to watch Snow White, and came home with TONS of stickers and toy jewelry she chose out. At the end of your visit they give you a special token for doing so good, and they have quarter machine things with trinkets to choose from. Cute huh? She still hasn't taken off the necklace.
I guess Nevada water is one of the only three states that doesn't have fluoride in their water. So they recommended these tablets to give her to help strengthen her teeth while she is still using fluoride free toothpaste. We will totally be using those ones, especially if her teeth end up like mine. Man it's so crazy this girl of ours is getting old enough for this kind of stuff. So Gabe has now joined up with the growing up world of dentist check ups......poor girl. I hate the dentist, even though I wouldn't tell her that. :) And yes I made Adam take pictures while he was there, cause I like to document my kid's "firsts". Plus I didn't go, so he sent me pics to show me how she was doing.
5 comments:
Dentists freak me and I am old. The two worst tools in the office - spit suction and heavy duty drill! Every time they would stick the suction in my mouth it would make me jump! I hope she gets the Fluckiger tooth genes. They have fabulous teeth.
You were smart playing dentist with her. I have noticed that it really helps when parents have really talked to their children about the dentist. What a fun post. Thanks for sharing!!!!
sophie and gabe have he same boots :) Sophie is still a little afraid of the dentist Abby loves it but pediatric dentists definetly know what they are doing-love them.
aww! shes growing up. what an adorable girl she is. im proud of her for being so good and brave.
oh and i wish i got the fluckiger genes. my teeth suck.
Yea for Gabe! I knew she was brave! I am so glad her teeth are nice and healthy and not like Dysen's were...what a nightmare! Pediatric dentists are the best! I completely understand the parental anxiety. Ha.
Post a Comment