Sunday, December 12, 2010

A "Fun" Week

Have you ever looked back at a week and wondered where it went, but at the same time felt like it was the longest week ever? Ha. That sums up my week. It was busy with random things, so it went by quickly, but not the type a things that are overly super exciting.

First, I tried getting creative with my sunday school lesson this week, and spent more time than I would have liked to planning it. It went okay, but not as spectacular as I would have liked. When I first started teaching I was way more creative. I've been a little lax in my planning lately. It's a busy time of the year and Ollie doesn't sleep as much in the day that he used to, so less time to plan I'm finding. In the beginning of January my class will jump from about 4-6 regular kids to 10-13. That's a big difference. Plus there are a ton of rowdy troubled boys that I get, that I can honestly say I am not looking forward to getting. I know that's horrible of me to say, but it's true. SOOOO I feel stressed about it all of a sudden. Anyway....

Second, I have this organizing itch lately. I think it's because I know my goals/resolutions for next year and I want to feel prepared to jump right into them. I organized my filing cabinet all week. Sounds exciting right? It hasn't been touched since we first got married. It had tons of stuff we don't need anymore. It was a project. One I really didn't have time for, but I did anyway. My house work has been neglected a bit, but at least I got it done. The other project was to try to organize all my FHE files, ideas, papers, etc....I can say I'm about half way done with that, cause I have no idea how to organize it well. Now if I can just plan on how to use it all successfully I'll be good.

Third, Gabe has had more potty accidents in this one week, than in the last few months combined. All due to sickness. She got some kind of bug that made her have Diarrhea. SORRY that is probably too much info for you guys, but it's my life. Plus, once you've potty trained a kid you have no problem talking bathroom lingo with people. I have cleaned up more poop this week than I would care to admit. HORRIBLE. For me and for her. Poor thing. Can I just say, this is when I am a fan of pull-ups. I am so grateful we had some on hand. (I use them for church) Within two days I cleaned up her peeing the bed twice, and 6 different poop accidents. I feel so bad for her. It's so confusing for a kid you just got comfortable going to the bathroom to have to experience something so awful. It's kinda like starting over, cause she is all skittish about things again. AH! We have been really lucky in our house not to have flu type bugs hit us or the kids since Gabe has been born. This was my first mothering experience dealing with something like that. I am tired. At least she wasn't throwing up as well. I don't know if I'll know what to do for my kids when the day comes when I get to deal with that. Colds I can handle, cause we've done, and had plenty of types of those. The flu is another story. Let's hope we don't have to experience that any time soon. On a positive note, I did have her successfully use the bathroom at church today! HURRAY!!!! If you know anything about the potty training details, you'll know that is a HUGE step for us. Good job Gabrielle!

Forth, all the last few Christmas gifts and what nots to buy, I finally managed to get done. It's easy in the beginning when you have lots of different things to buy, and you can go to different places to get things. It's those hard last gifts that you need from that one certain store that isn't conveniently close. Plus you have a sick child you are not taking anywhere. Ha! AND THEN you go, and they don't have what you needed! So you end up at two other stores that are way out of the way to finally find what you needed. But atleast I think I can say I'm done buying. Bring on all the wrapping and baking! ;)

To top off my random week, while feeding Ollie in the mothers lounge today at church, I had a guy from the branch that meets in our building come in to change his daughter's diaper. This is the second time this has happened to me. This branch is a different culture, and it's not a big deal to them obviously. It is however, a big deal to me. Especially since there are plenty of other places men change their kid's diapers during church. It's called a mothers lounge for a reason. It's there to give nursing mothers a private place to feed/ take care if their babies. The first time it happened a guy came in with his wife and just started chatting with me as I was nursing and his wife was changing a diaper. I'm just not one of those women that is comfortable nursing anywhere or in front of anyone, so it wasn't a regular experience. Now I know he really was just there to change his kid, but that doesn't mean I want him there. I think it's weird.

Well with all the fesitivity posts lately, it's nice to kinda rant about regular everyday stuff now and again. Even if no one cares to read about it but me. So there you have it folks, my crazy slow/fast week.

5 comments:

Danni said...

You can vent all you want, in fact I think you need to do at least three more to catch up to me! I'm so sorry you had to deal with a sick kiddo and potty training. Sarah Grace had diarrhea shortly after being potty trained too, it was a very messy couple of days. Maybe its just a way for us parents to be inducted into big kid world! I totally don't blame you on the nursing thing either. How uncomfortable, thats just weird to me! Eric would never just hang out while some lady nursed. haha that just makes me laugh....sooooo awkward!

Judy said...

I think it's just plain wrong to have a guy come into the mother's lounge. There should be a sign posted MOTHERS ONLY! Talk to the Relief Society President and have her take it to the Agent Bishop. Every men's room I have been in has a changing table now - tell him to use it! - So sorry to hear Gabe has been sick. Hope she gets better quick.

Katrina said...

I feel awkward sometimes when I nurse and another mother comes in... and I consider myself fairly comfortable with the whole nursing thing. Thats just weird.

A's been sick with some diarrhea, too. Or I THINK it is. its hard to know with an infant. Poop is so icky. A's has been extra stinky, too, so thats never a good thing. I hope Gabe feels better soon. Oh, and YAY for using the big toilets! I hope she keeps going strong.

AmyJane said...

1. You totally need to say something to someone about dude's in the mother's lounge. The whole point is a men free place to nurse.
2. I teach the 12-13 year old Sunday School class and have similarly troubled boys that make me more than a little crazy. It's a rough calling.
3. I have the same issue, where I have all these plans for the New Year but am fighting the urge to start them now, since I really need to focus on the current to do list and get through the Christmasing first.
4. We're back to retraining on the potty with Kennedy for a rather opposite reason. She has major poop fear and now has chronic constipation and insanity. So she's back in diapers till after Christmas when we need to start ALLLLLL over. Awesome.
So, there you go--you're definately not alone!

KBPatterson said...

Poor Gabe! It sucks when they are sick!!! And talk about confusing for her when she is just getting the hang of potty training. I hope she's feeling better. I cannot believe a guy walked into the Mother's lounge! Holy Crap!!! I would definitely talk to the bishop. That is so uncomfortable. It's even worse when he is looking and talking to you. Crazy!