Monday, May 10, 2010

Being a Mother

I love a holiday that can make you appreciate people and all that they do. I love that my husband spoils me and makes me feel special. It's nice you hear, and experience. On top of that, in our ward the men take over primary, nursery and they send all of the young women into relief society so we can all have a lesson. This is kinda a big deal for me. Being in primary for about 4 years now, I don't get lessons addressed to me often. Don't get me wrong, I still learn by teaching the kids, and I sometimes get things out of sacrament if I'm not too distracted, but it is a nice treat for me. Mainly because they always address the topic of motherhood in some way, and I love hearing it.

It makes me realize that as a mother I doing the best I can, even though I am far from perfect. All through the day we heard clips and parts from Elder Uchtdorf's talk, "Happiness, your heritage." He talked about the two things in a woman's life that can bring you happiness in a hectic world, which are creation, and compassion. Creating being more than just baring children, but defining your talents. I have a hard time with this. I am one of those women that always goes, hmmm my talents? I feel like I've tried about everything, and I'm not very good at anything. It was nice to hear some encouragement in that area. Also that serving my family and in the church, brings me happiness. I'm where I need to be as a mother, making my house a home for my family.

The other thing that my bishop wanted to point out, was trying to be perfect, and realizing that nobody is. I try to be this perfect mother, perfect wife, have a perfectly clean home, have a perfect meal ready, and I just need to realize it's not about that. He then quoted from a talk Elder Nelson gave, and talked about his wife. He said:

Sisters, be patient. I know something of the pressures you feel. Your kitchens are too small. Your budgets are too tight. Demands upon you exceed your capacity to help all who cry out to you. Through it all, “Improve the shining moments; Don’t let them pass you by” (Hymns, 1985, no. 226). Take time for spiritual regeneration.

I’ll share a few lines that have sustained Sister Nelson through the years. They also reflect her sense of priority:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait ’til tomorrow.
For babies grow up,
We’ve learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust, go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby,
And babies don’t keep.

I’m glad Sister Nelson has not tried to be a “supermom.” But she has been a “soothing” mom. This she has done simply by being herself.


I am grateful for the lesson I was able to hear. It was a nice reminder to me that I can be a great mother by just being myself and enjoying my family. Sometimes I get so busy with a to do list, and life gets so hectic, and I need to recognize what my priorities should be in my week. I look at Gabe being almost two and it already shocks me her life has gone so fast. With more kids the time will only go faster. I pray that I can be soothing, slow down, and enjoy the small things while I have them. I also hope I can be better at recognizing the talents I do have, and be better at them, instead of trying to master everything. I'm grateful for a husband who not only made my day great, but was willing to take on my whole primary of hyper kids, in order for me to learn from this lesson. Thanks babe! I hope everyone had an enjoyable mother's day, I'm grateful for all of you women as positive mother role models in my life.

5 comments:

KBPatterson said...

How great you got to go to Relief Society and relax! I love the message of your lesson!!! I have to remind myself of that very thing sometimes. Life flies by way too fast not to cherish the every moment. And I think you have tons of talents!! You are a great Mom!!!

Katrina said...

that was really nice to read. thanks mandy.

Lenard said...

I love how you have such an impact on me with the different lessons you talk or tell about. You are a great mom, and glad you got a chance to have a break away from primary, thats nice of them to do!

Judy said...

Great message - but don't discount the efforts you make at trying out new things. How will you know if you're good at them if you don't try. and having a clean house, though challenging with small children, is such a blessing to the whole family. Clean houses help everyone learn how to work and feel the calming influence of the Spirit. I thing you are doing a great job!

Danni said...

What a neat thing your ward does. Maybe I should suggest that to our bishop! It's tough work being a mom, it's honestly the most challenging thing I have ever done, but by far the most rewarding! Keep up the good work Mandy, you're doing a wonderful job! We had someone from our stake presidency speak today and he was talking about the world and how a lot of things around us are unknown right now and how things may get bad. He said that our number priority right now should be making our homes like the temple. Our homes should be a place where Christ can dwell. I think as a Mom that is a big part of the job title! ...I hope that made sense and I didn't ramble too much!