Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sunday School Update

The beginning of this year started out CRAZY in my sunday school class. I was given a new class of about 12-13 kids. Eight of them being some seriously rowdy boys that all have some family issues. When I say family issues I mean, serious ones. None but one, have good father figures in their life. This is the class everyone in the ward cringes when they know they have to teach them. These boys have gotten in fist fights with each other at their activities. The girls are even naughty. They talk the whole time, cause they can get away with it, cause the boys are so crazy.

Anyway my first week went okay. Just okay. They rounded up the two rowdiest boys that were ditching half way through. When they joined us in the middle, it was crashed and boomed from there. They were so loud and disrespectful. I couldn't believe it! Talked back, made rude comments to each other and to me, and mostly just fueled off each other. It was crazy. I knew they'd be this way, I had been warned. I did have them in primary as well, but now they are obnoxious 14 year olds. By the end of class I was half way to tears, only cause I promised myself I wouldn't let them get to me. I did. Adam says it's my fault, cause I care. I didn't know how I was going to handle this class, or give these kids more one on one time that they all need.

The next week was a little better, but still hectic. When asked how it was going by my Sunday School president, and the bishopric, I was honest and told them my concerns. I felt like if this was the "problem" group, why hasn't anyone done anything to try to help them. I asked for some help, and even talked to them about splitting it, so they can have more one on one with a teacher. I felt bad complaining, cause I hate doing it, but I really felt like something needed to be done. I wanted to help this group, and I wasn't sure how.

Anyway as of last week they called another teacher and split my class. I wasn't expecting that to happen, and so fast. I was so grateful they took my concerns seriously, cause that didn't always happen with primary. I also heard the bishop was pretty upset they were so disrespectful to me. So they pretty much split it down the middle, making it pretty fair as to who went where. It's nice, cause I feel like I can focus more on less, than have to struggle with 13. I did feel kinda guilty. I can't help it. I am glad I now can enjoy my calling again, and help some of these kids that need it.

4 comments:

Judy said...

No guilt! I think 13 kids is hard even if they aren't "troubles". I'm glad they took your concerns seriously.

Lenard said...

That has to be hard, but you're strong and can handle them, glad they split it up for you though, cause that is a lot of kids in one class. Don't feel guilty, it never hurts to ask for some help!

KBPatterson said...

They did react fast! That's awesome. I wish we had that kind of response time. ha. I'm glad that they split it for you so you feel like you can better help the kids.

Grandma Krissy said...

You have helped them....by talking about your concersn and with the quick action that was taken. Proud of you again!