Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Carving our Pumpkins

For FHE on Monday we decided to carve our pumpkins. We decided to theme them around Gabe's costume this year, thus ending up with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. We cranked up the Halloween music and dug in. Gabe decided that she was not into the pumpkin goo. She thought it was really gross and refused to touch it after the first few times. I had to go feed Ollie and put him to bed, so that left Adam with the task of cleaning out all the pumpkins. Thanks babe! (I actually enjoy doing it, but he was nice enough to get them done so we weren't there all night). We let Gabe choose what kind of face she wanted on her pumpkin, and she chose a scary face. You'll notice the large crack across it's face is from her dropping it after insisting she wanted to carry it all by herself. I think it adds some character to the scary face. Once we put lights in them, we discovered they turned out better than we thought they would. That was nice, cause we had our doubts while carving. So even though they are already starting to fall apart, it made Gabe's night to have Mickey and Minnie glowing on our porch. As much as I love the scary Halloween themed pumpkins, I also like ones that make my kids happy. We might try to do one each year that reflects what they are into at the time, or something they like. Last year was Elmo, cause she loved sesame street. We'll see how long that lasts. (I did have a tinker bell pattern too and we ended up with Minnie-I guess that's why she is going to be that for Halloween)



Ready to start- it was super cold outside so we carved on the kitchen floor instead of the garage or outdoors.

Showing us their scary Halloween faces. Gabe couldn't quite get hers down and kept laughing. Ollie got his down pretty well.

Fascinated by the pumpkin color



Not loving the goo

EEEWWW!

Helping Daddy Carve

Showing Daddy he can be Mickey Mouse too (the ear of Mickey after Adam carved it out-in case you couldn't tell)


6 comments:

KBPatterson said...

Oh Sicily would have absolutely LOVED a mickey and minnie pumpkin. So cute! I love Gabe's faces. What a good Daddy and Hubby Adam is to clean out all of the pumpkins. What a fun FHE.

Judy said...

They look great. And Gabe and I are on the same page - pumpkin goo is grossssss.

Grandma Krissy said...

WOW! They turned out awesome! Good job! And so much fun.

Danni said...

The pumpkins look awesome! I always loved carving pumpkins as a kid, now my arm gets tired half way through and Eric always ends up finishing mine.

Lenard said...

They really turned out way cute! where do you always find all the cute patterns? Love gabes face in trying to make a scary face! Ollie of course is a Natural ha! I like cleaning out the pumpkins too, I might be weird but love the smell!!

Katrina said...

Danni's comment makes me laugh. Tired arm.. oh man.

I think the pumpkins look great. I think Gabe's looks like its got a good scar across it. It looks much more fierce and scary this way. Tell her I say, good job!