Sunday, July 18, 2010

Our Family Campout

This weekend we went camping and had a blast. We did all the great traditional camping activities, and we did it right in our backyard. That's right, we had a family backyard campout. It was so much fun. We had planned on going camping in the mountains a different weekend this month, but because of other circumstances, we had to change it to this weekend. Well THIS weekend, none of our friends could go with us. Under normal circumstances, that would have been fine. We are okay with camping by ourselves. We usually camp close enough that it isn't a big deal for Adam to go do his route. It was a big deal for me this time. I didn't want to be left by myself in the mountains, while he had to go do it. Being pregnant, and for other reasons, it made me a little nervous. So I was a little bummed once again this month it wasn't going to happen. (Especially since this might be one of the only months I have left where I'm still comfortable to go) Adam suggested we do it in our backyard. It was such a fun idea.

I wish I could explain how excited Gabe was. She LOVED the tent, the air mattress, the fire, the food, everything! She was begging us to go to bed in the tent. We told her she got to stay up and have some fun. She didn't want to, she kept telling us, "wanna go na night in da tent." So we let her. She was a little nervous about being zipped up in it, but she was over it quick. In the morning she didn't want to get out of it, and wanted to go back in it all day.

It was a little different with all of us crammed on our air mattress. I think Gabe had the most room, I couldn't help how much room I took up, and Adam got what was left. Good thing he's the most easy going sleeper. You know how when you sleep on a air mattress with someone, you feel every move they make all night? Try sleeping with a pregnant woman who doesn't stop moving. Like I said, it's a good thing he'll sleep through anything, including Gabe stealing his pillow and kicking him. We even crammed Greta in there on some pillows in a corner. The night was cool and a little noisier than the mountains, but so fun. Adam joked that I would want to move our real mattress outside to sleep from now on. I think he's right, it was the first time I didn't wake up sweating or dying of heat.





Our camp fire tin foil dinners were good despite how random they look. Gabe told us the were delicious

You would think we went camping in the mountains by how dirty she got

The marshmellows are her favorite part. She was trying to cram as many as she could in her mouth before we took them away

I don't love me in this picture, but I LOVE her excited face in it. P.S. a pregnant woman should never sit that close to a fire, it's torture

We bought caramel hershey kisses to use as the chocolate for our smores. For those of you who haven't had caramel smores, you're missing out.


Tired after hanging out talking by the camp fire

5 comments:

Trev & Celina said...

That looks like such a blast! I'm jealous about having a yard to camp in! I'm with you on the whole being pregnant during the summer. It's torture being so blasted hot all the time!

Judy said...

I really love how creative you are in your activities. Maybe Gabe and I could do a re-enactment of the event this weekend, but only if Greta was out there to protect us. :) Adam looks like Ono the speed skater in that last picture.

Lindsey Shaun Christensen said...

Super fun little outing! and . . . if you guys have ever gone camping for real with her out in the wild, let me know how you do it because i just can't wrap my head around how to do it with a 9 month old. maybe you just don't. :)
mandy, did we ever finish our conversation about photography? i am sorry if i got side tracked . . . did i?

KBPatterson said...

How fun is that! I love that you guys had a backyard campout. I love that Gabe was so excited and that you guys went all out with the cooking too. I don't blame Gabe for loving the marshmallows. I am a little hooked on them lately myself. Her excited face is so stinkin cute when roasting mallows! You guys rock!

Danni said...

What a fun activity! I can't remember the last time we went camping. There's nothing better than smores, I think we eat them on a weekly basis!