Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Truckee River

The Truckee River runs throughout Reno, and is a very big attraction to people all year round. I think Adam has tubed in it with young men before, but we haven't done much with it. There is a bike path that follows it, which we like to ride. Anyway we decided this summer that we would just go and explore some of it with Gabe. If anything we could enjoy the view, and she could throw rocks in the water, which she loves. Yesterday we got there and she was thrilled to be able to throw rocks in it. She of course always goes for the big rocks, they make the better splash. There were families all around us swimming, tubing, and playing in the water. I decided we should let Gabe walk in it and see what she would do. We left her shoes on, wondering if she'd freak out about them getting wet. She didn't, she loved the water too much. She slowly got wetter and wetter. She loved splashing and being splashed. I'm surprised we eventually got her out without a fuss. We distracted her enough to get into the car. We stripped her down and wrapped her one of Daddy's shirts. No towel or suit, we weren't planning on the swim, but she loved it anyway.









Testing out the waters

Splashing and getting splashed

Running!

Stopping to say Hi to Mommy on the shore

Jumping off the rocks with Daddy's help


She wasn't afraid to venture out further, she would have kept going if we had let her. We should have, by the end there wasn't a dry spot on her

Getting home all cute and cozy in Daddy's shirt

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I love that you guys are able to come up with such fun activities for free! Throwing rocks is very much so the best activity! We've been wanting to go to the Boise river, but we haven't made the trip yet.

P.S. Your pictures have such great light! I love the contrast of shadows and light.

KBPatterson said...

I'm impressed that she wanted to go in deeper and deeper. That river had to be chilly. Go Gabe! She looks so snuggly cute wrapped in Daddy's shirt!

Danni said...

I love the pictures! That area looks beautiful, and who doesn't love throwing rocks right?! Its always nice exploring your area.

Judy said...

I think with that picture of Gabe throwing that monster rock she should begin training for the shotput. She's got some major muscles.